- Contact ISP and setup a Reverse DNS Record on public IP if not reusing existing.
- First, decommission and uninstall all Exchange servers older than 2007.
- Add the Feature: Media Foundation: Install-WindowsFeature Server-Media-Foundation
- Next load the following components: Unified Communications Managed API 4.0 Runtime, Filter Pack 2010 x64, Filter Pack 2010 SP1 x64
- Run the install package that includes the current service pack. Do NOT install it to the C Drive. The remaining Features and Roles with be installed automatically.
- Run Windows Updates
Access the ECP at https://server.domain/ecp/?ExchClientVer=15
- Increase the database limits to unlimited to ensure you will be able to import existing accounts.
- Rename the databases and create additional to separate databases based on Co. structure. If needed create databases for heavily utilized staff or service accounts. Move all databases off of the C Drive (Log Files can be left on C with adequate capacity). Database path name should be as follows e.g. Database Name “Management”; New Database Path “D:\Exchange\Management\Managment.edb”; New Log Path e.g. “D:\Logs\Management\”
- Install SSL certificate to IIS 7-8, bind to 443 for exchange site then update server URL (see commands)
- Update DNS to fix Outlook security warnings. The SRV record should be created in the DNS zone that matches the user’s SMTP domain. The SRV record should have the following properties:
Host: URL for redirection. This URL may be the Outlook Web Access (OWA) URL because the resolved IP should be the same as the Autodiscover service. e.g. _autodiscover._tcp.SMTPDomain.com
For details: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2772058
- Migrate Administrator@ email to a non-admin account named “Administrator Email” to allow ActiveSync access. Administrator CANNOT use Active Sync
- Open 443 and 25 outbound on the router and test Webmail and ActiveSync from outside with new Admin account.
- Verify log files are off C drive and that enough capacity exists (they grow to size of data transferred)
- Add Internal Receive Connectors on new and old Servers that accepts only from single internal server IP
- You are now ready to create or transfer mailboxes (Always create user in AD 1st to copy security for share access
- Install Spam filter or redirect existing and point
- Update External DNS, MX and SPF records
- Test and Verify
- Migrate Public Folders
- ActiveSync https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/Default.aspx
- rDNS http://aboutmyip.com
- SPF http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html
- SSL connections external from Webmail and Outlook
- Mail Flow Inbound & Outbound and between both servers
To allow ActiveSync on both servers:
- Each Server will need a public IP on port 443
- Point the external OWA URI to the new server (Only new server can route requests)
- Add a new URI legacy.company.com that points to the old server
- Do not change internal DNS
- On the old server Run:
Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -Identity "CAS_Server_Name\OWA (Default Web Site)" -ExternalURL "https://legacy.company.com/owa" -InternalURL $NULL
- Move database and Logs:
Move-DatabasePath -Identity "[Databasename]" -EdbFilePath "D:\[NewLocation]\[databasefile].edb" –LogFolderpath “D:\[Newlocation]"
- View Database and Log Paths:
Get-MailboxDatabase “[DatabaseName]” | FL Name,Path
- Get Mail Stats:
Get-MailboxStatistics "[username]" | ft DisplayName, TotalItemSize, ItemCount, Database
- Move Mailbox:
New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase "[Database name]" -ArchiveTargetDatabase archives -BadItemLimit 100 -LargeItemLimit 100 -AcceptLargeDataLoss
- Mailbox Move Status:
Get-moverequest -MoveStatus InProgress -TargetDatabase "[DatabaseName]" | get-moverequeststatistics|select DisplayName,PercentComplete,TotalMailboxSize
- Suspend Move:
Suspend-MoveRequest -Identity "User Name"
- Update server URLs to match SSL:
Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity "[Server]" -AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri "https://[FQDN]/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml"; Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity "[Server]\EWS (Default Web Site)" -InternalUrl "https://[FQDN]/ews/exchange.asmx"; Set-OABVirtualDirectory -Identity "[Server]\oab (Default Web Site)" -InternalUrl "https://[FQDN]/oab"; Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity "[Server]" –AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri "https://[FQDN]/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml"